Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Discipline and Pride

There are a lot of journeys in life that I have taken that I can’t say I am proud of. There are a lot of times I know I should have been more disciplined – school, work, friends, life in general.
That was then and this is now. And the “Now” me is more disciplined  (and can also look back and say all of those not so proud moments have brought me to where I am and I would not change that for anything!).
Maybe having a child helps that. Ayden does keep me more disciplined when it comes to schedules. I hate schedules! While we are not a very down to the minute scheduled family, we do have a bit more of a pattern to the days then we did pre-Ayden. The good Lord knows that there is not a thing I would not do for my child. He is amazing!!!
Lately I have learned that I am capable of pushing myself further then I ever thought possible. Lately, I have realized that with a little discipline I can achieve great things. For four weeks (13 work outs) I have held myself to a 3 days a week schedule at CrossFit. I have not backed down. I have not given in to sleepless nights, long days, stress from work, stress from family, headaches, sore muscles, asthma attacks, nights out, drinks or any other random part of life. In short, I have been disciplined.
Discipline, on this level, is new to me.
I feel in control. I feel on top of the world. I feel like I can tackle anything. I may not be the fastest. I may not be the strongest. I may not be the best. Actually, I am the furthest from all of these. But through my constant struggle to survive each WOD, I have discovered so much about who I am and who I am capable of being. With each disciplined WOD, with every breath I take, I come one step closer to achieving even better results. Every achievement, whether it be an Rx’d exercise (Slam Ball!!) or just completing a WOD without dying, brings a satisfaction to my life that I have never experienced.
Pride.
Self worth.
I know I can be the best wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend and worker. I know I am capable of greatness. I know that I am worth the effort. I know that I am special. I know I deserve happiness. I know that with a little bit of discipline, I can achieve anything.
“You have to discipline yourself, and through this discipline will come some level of achievement, and from this achievement will come your pride”

No comments:

Post a Comment